Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Connections: TJ-Designs

It's been awhile since we featured a Connection! Today's featured Connection is Tiffany Kuelthau and TJ-Designs. I met Tiffany almost one year ago and am so happy to see her take her idea to market! Here's what Tiffany has to share about her new business.



Describe your product/service?
TJ Designs is a boutique specializing in custom-made accessories for children. Currently we are focused in the hair accessories area, but will soon be expanding our product lines to include items for boys and babies. Our niche is to provide our customers with all the trendy and traditional colors, patterns and styles, and allow them to “build” the accessory they desire, as opposed to having only ready-made options available to them.


Why did you create it?
I created this company for a few reasons. First, I was always looking for something a little different and unique for my daughter, from the standard bows and headbands I was seeing in the marketplace. So, I simply started making all kinds of hair accessories for her on my own, and that ultimately led to opening my own boutique! The second reason I started this business, was my drive to do something entrepreneurial, while still being a stay-at-home mom. One of my dreams is to build a business from home that is fulfilling to me personally, and that will always allow me the option to stay at home with my two children, Taylor & Jack.

Why do you produce locally? (made in the USA)
Right now, I’m a small shop. Yes, it’s just me! I love to take the time to make something beautiful by hand. Quality is extremely important to me, and I make every accessory as if I were making it for my own daughter to wear.

What are you most proud of?

Of course, I’ll always be most proud of my family, and the life we have together. Outside of that, I’m most proud of actually taking a leap of faith and giving this a true shot. As my family and many friends will tell you, I’m always full of entrepreneurial ideas, yet nothing materializes! So, after a long process of debating whether or not to open a boutique or just keep this as a hobby for my daughter and some of her friends, I thought it seemed like the right time for me to try something, so I did it! It was a lot more work than I ever imagined, so I’m equally proud of the dedication it took to get this done, all the while being a full-time mom to a three year old and two year old!

What is your big thought (next bit step) for your company?
There are two things that I would consider “next big steps”. The first is aligning myself with some boutiques, allowing me the opportunity to introduce not only my hair accessories to a wider audience, but my new product lines as well. I can see partnering with different boutiques to create coordinating accessories to come out with new seasonal lines. The second “big step” is that I would like to expand my product lines, and introduce some boys accessories to start with (can’t forget about my little Jack, and all the other boys out there…) When your two year old son requests a headband every time your daughter wears one, you know you better get cracking!

No comments: