Thursday, October 30, 2008

I absolutely love receiving Chef Stephanie's email each month with her “the best thing I made this month” recipe and photo. The new and always fabulous dish seems to arrive at the perfect time.


Chicken and Dumplings with Leeks and Tarragon

With the weather quickly getting cooler and the end of daylight saving time right around the corner, I have already started craving heartier dinners – stews and soups, root vegetables, and squashes. One of my absolute favorite fall/winter dishes I just discovered last winter: Chicken and dumplings.


I know there isn’t a lot to “get” about Chicken and Dumplings, but I kind of didn’t get it. I have a vague memory from my childhood of my favorite babysitter in the whole world canning chicken and dumplings and the dumplings were super mushy. Gross. And this was not a dish that was served in my house, so the canned dumplings were all I knew. But then I came across this recipe and it looked so good, and it featured my favorite herb, tarragon. So I thought maybe it was time to give it another try. And was my bravery rewarded!

To me, this is more of a weekend meal, because it is slightly time consuming. That said, I did make it on a weeknight the other day when I had just a little extra time, and I think it took about an hour from start to finish. But, let me tell you, the results are totally worth it. Plus, half of the time to make it is hands-off while it simmers, and it is really a one-dish meal. All you have to do is steam up some broccoli or green beans and you have a complete balanced meal.

The stew is meaty and smooth and savory, and the dumplings are light and not mushy at all. They even retain their light texture as leftovers. So, I hope that you will try my winter favorite, and that you enjoy it as much as my husband and I do!

Chicken and Dumplings with Leeks and Tarragon

Serves 6 to 8 (I usually make half and it is good for the two of us with leftovers)

For the stew:
5 pounds bone-in, skinless chicken thighs
Salt and pepper
4 teaspoons vegetable oil
2 medium leeks
1 large onion, minced
6 tablespoons unbleached all purpose flour
1/4 cup dry sherry (or any kind of wine...)
4 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves
2 bay leaves
1 cup frozen peas
3 tablespoons minced fresh tarragon leaves

For the dumplings:
2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon table salt
1 cup whole milk
3 tablespoons unsalted butter

1. For the stew: Pat the chicken dry with paper towels, then season with salt and pepper. Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until just smoking. Add half of the chicken and cook until golden on both sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate. Return the pot to medium-high heat and repeat with the remaining 2 teaspoons of oil and the remaining chicken. Remove the remaining chicken from the pot.

2. Add the leeks, onions, and 1/4 teaspoon salt to the pot and cook until softened, about 7 minutes. Stir in the flour. Whisk in sherry, scraping up any browned bits. Stir in the broth, milk, thyme, and bay leaves. Nestle the chicken, with any accumulated juices, into the pot. Cover and simmer until the chicken is fully cooked and tender, about 30 minutes.

3. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board. Discard the bay leaves. Shred the chicken, discarding the bones, then return it to the stew.

4. For the dumplings: Stir the flour, baking powder, and salt together. Microwave the milk and butter in a microwave-safe bowl on high just until warm (do not over-heat), about 1 minute. Stir the warmed milk mixture into the flour mixture with a wooden spoon until incorporated and smooth.

5. Return the stew to a simmer, stir in the peas and tarragon, and season with salt and pepper. Following the steps below, drop golf-ball sized dumplings over the top of the stew, about 1/4 inch apart (you should have about 18 dumplings). Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook until the dumplings have doubled in size, 15 to 18 minutes. Serve.

To make the dumplings:
1. Gather a golf-ball sized portion of the dumpling batter onto a soup spoon, then push the dumpling onto the stew using a second spoon.
2. Cover the stew with the dumplings, leaving about 1/4 inch between each.
3. When fully cooked, the dumplings will have doubled in size.

No comments: