Monday, April 20, 2009

Back from vacation refreshed and reframed

I am back in Chicago after a four day retreat to California. I left on a good note, happy with life and work and excited to relax and soak up some sun. I packed Yvon Chouinard's (founder and owner of Patagonia) let my people go surfing, the education of a reluctant businessman for the plane. I checked it out of the library a bit on a whim, perhaps attempting to feel like I was getting some work done while on vacation. I'm bit compulsive like that. It is hard for me to completely relax.
I can't quite put into words how blissful I found this book. It is the inspiring story of true value-based man and his company. I hung on every page of this two hundred and sixty page autobiography filled with inspiring quotes and photography. Even took notes! I left town wondering about more trivial things like, if I should be on Twitter and have returned refocused on Hand Picked Pumpkin's original business plan: to provide a high-quality, creative and out of the box product, to be a valued-based company that enriches lives and leaves the world a better place.
On the surface, I would not label myself a lazy person. But after reading Chouinard's story, and examining my choices- both personal and professional- I know I can do so much more to improve the quality of life for future generations, be it taking conscious steps regarding the environment, education, nutrition or the built-environment.
For example, as I was packing my children's lunches this morning, each item in its own quart size zip lock bag which will be tossed in the garbage at school, it occurs to be I could simply stock up on a few small pieces of Tupperware which can be returned, washed and reused. One step, but if made by more, very significant.
I'm challenging myself and my company to be more conscious, and I challenge you to do the same.
"We are the people we have been waiting for." - Navajo Medicine Man

No comments: