Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Connections: Blue Sky Papers


Our featured Connection today is Courtney Bartik of Blue Sky Papers. A mutual dear friend of ours introduced us after listening to us talk to her about similar local manufacturing and small business marketing issues. I am very grateful to have friends such as Courtney to discuss all the start up challenges that we entrepreneurs face.

Here's what Courtney has to share with us about her personalized keepsake business.

1. Describe your product/service?
Blue Sky Papers is a company that hand-makes, high-quality keepsake books and guest books. We sell themed kits, where everything needed is included, such as baby shower keepsake books, baby memory books, legacy books and wedding guest books. We also provide custom services.

2. Why did you create it?
My flagship keepsake book, and the reason to be, is the baby shower keepsake book. I created this gift for a dear friend for her baby shower. I wanted something original, that would set the day apart from all others and would be meaningful. And the baby shower keepsake was born!

3. Why do you produce locally (made in the USA)?
I do this because I believe in the US. I try to live by my values and I am proud to make product here in the US. I would not be proud selling out to China what I could do here - have local people and businesses support each other. Keep in mind that this decision is tough because in the novelty market, where the majority of the manufacturers make overseas, the competition is fierce. It is a decision I face on a regular basis, but it is the one that is closest to my heart.

4. What are you most proud of?
I am proud of my accomplishments in such a short period of time. I am proud of my contribution in creating joy and meaning in the lives of others. I have a page on my web dedicated to the stories people have shared where my products have touched them. The great testimonials of how my product heightened their special day LITERALLY make my day. THIS is why I do what I do.

5. What is your big thought (next bit step) for your company?
Oh, my! There are so many directions I could take my company. I am really focused on Internet business right now - it is almost the only way I can stay in business - selling direct to the customer. I can't wait to get back to product creation! I have a bunch of ideas up my sleeve. I am going to try to license some of them to other large companies with distribution channels as I feel that mine is limited. And with all the knock-offs, I can't afford to put out an original idea without the sales channels to push the product.

Thanks for sharing with us Courtney!

No comments: