Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Connections: Resa Design


Today's featured connection is Resa Troyer of Resa Design. Resa called me last year to talk about my experience at a celebrity swag event. Since then we've exchanged emails about all aspects of running a small business. As a small business owner I am so grateful to have so many new friends like Resa to exchange ideas with. As you'll see from her site, we've got very similiar taste in fabric too!
Here's what Resa has to share with us about Resa Design.

Describe your product/service?
Resa Design offers baby accessories and clothing made for YOUR BABY in YOUR STYLE. No ducks for sheep allowed! Only super modern and stylish prints on everything from bibs to "un-cheesy" Sibling Tees. Hand made by mom’s in the USA.


Why did you create it?
When my son was born in 2004, the baby market was a sad sad place to shop. I couldn’t find accessories that fit my style and were affordable. I was looking for a compact changing pad that would fit in my very un-diaper bag (aka purse). I couldn’t find one, so I made my own. I’ve always kind of ran that way. Can’t find it, make it. Most of our products have developed this way. Resa Design became a ‘real’ company in 2005 after I gave away so many changing pads and a blanket I made at the time, people were asking to buy them. The rest is water under the bridge.


Why do you produce locally (made in the USA)
I’m a control freak. Seriously, the thought of even having our products sewn in someone else’s house keeps me up at night. Ok, well I don’t really loose sleep, but I do think about it a lot. I am proud to employ other moms, grandmas, and right now some college students. We want to continue doing this as much as we can. At some point, we might need to look into larger manufacturing options, but this wouldn’t work for all our products. If you own a Resa Design product purchased between 2005-2007, it’s most likely that I made with my own hands. I kind of think that’s part of the fun of it all. Besides, the business side of Resa Design, makes my head spin.


What are you most proud of?
Besides my wonderful husband and two creative boys, I’m proud that I stepped out and started this company. I remember the days of it’s inception. Late nights brainstorming with my husband. At one point he said, “Just do it. Take the chance. If it fails, we haven’t lost that much money really.” It was a chance I’m glad we took. I can’t count how many mom’s have told me how they wish they could step out and follow a dream they have too. I hope that I’m a role model to other parents, and young women, to follow your gifts and see what they have for you.


What is your big thought (next bit step) for your company?
If I told you I’d have to..... Just kidding. Right now we are trying to figure out how to grow without loosing control (told you I’m a control freak). We are working on a redesign of our web site, hiring local mom’s to support us, and we do have some new products in the works. Be on the look out for a blanket that’s worth keeping, more custom items, and great new fabrics.

Thanks for sharing Resa!

No comments: