Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Connections: Ruffle Butts


Today's featured Connection is Amber from Ruffle Butts. I introduced myself to Amber after seeing Hand Picked Pumpkin mentioned in her blog. Turns out Amber learned of Hand Picked Pumpkin via a mutual friend. Since that first email exchange, Amber and I have had many a conversation about marketing, press, local production and sales. Although Ruffle Butts is based in Florida, we've actually interviewed many of the same Chicago manufactures.

1. Describe your product/service?
RuffleButts is a fun & frilly clothing line for little angels. Bringing back the diaper cover of my childhood, this brand is designed to bring a smile to your face! We also offer personalized RuffleButt Bloomers on our website, which makes for a fabulously unique baby gift.

2. Why did you create it?
I have always wanted to start and run my own business, but when I had my "light bulb moment" with RuffleButts, I knew this was what I was meant to do. The little angels of today were completely deprived of their little ruffled bloomers, and I just couldn't allow that to happen!! I also love the big smile that inevitably appears on the faces of moms and grandmas alike as soon as they see their little angel decorated in rear ruffles. After working in other industries, it was important to me to create a business that was based on strong ethics and business principles. With all of the responsibilities that come with business ownership, also comes the control to do things "the right way" and that is an incredible opportunity.

3. Why do you produce locally (made in the usa)?
Unfortunately, we manufacture most of our products overseas. The majority of our production is done in the Dominican Republic, with limited replacements made in Chicago. Although, all of our fabric and trim is sourced here domestically. I wish I could say that we proudly manufacture USA, but it has been extremely challenging for us to find a reliable and affordable manufacturer here in the states. It has been challenging overseas as well, but so far, that has been our best option.

4. What are you most proud of?
I am most proud of the fact that I run my business by the Golden Rule, and with everything I have experienced through this start-up, I have held strong to this belief. I am also so very proud when I receive pictures of our adorable little customers in their brand new RuffleButts! It is the customer satisfaction and joy that gives me that sense of satisfaction at the end of the day and keeps me going to the next.

5. What is your big thought (next bit step) for your company?
We are finally at a point where I feel like I have a handle on production and daily logistics. My next big step is to bring on larger retailers to share our products with more wonderful moms and little angels around the world. We just received a huge shipment of inventory, so I am ready to sell, sell, sell! We have been so blessed with the fabulous response we have received to our products in this first year, so I am very excited to see what lies ahead for our little ruffled brand.


Thanks for sharing with us Amber!

No comments: