Tuesday, April 8, 2008

In Defense of Food has got me reading labels

My book club gathered this past Sunday night for the discussion of our latest read, In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan. His website, michaelpollan.com, has a detailed summary of the book which we all found extremely eye-opening.
The second half of the book was by far my favorite. Pollan does a wonderful job explaining simple steps we can take to escape the evils of our Western diet. Since finishing the book, I feel a much more informed shopper and find myself making much healthier diet choices for myself and my family.
I am immediately attempting to eliminate High Frucose Corn Syrup from our diets.
While shopping yesterday with a whole new set of eyes I learned: Cattle from Wholefoods (at least the Wholefoods I shop at in River Forest, Illinois) is grass fed the first 2/3rds of its life and then the last 1/3 fed a vegetarian diet including grains but no antibiotics. Chickens from their store are raised the same as cattle. The butcher said the lamb and bison were 100% grass fed.
Deli guys didn't have info on Applegate turkey so I'll checked out their website and found this fun track your food to its source link. I also attempted to read as many bread ingredient labels as I could and the only one I found without some sort of sugar added was Ezekiel 4:9.

No comments: